Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Fire Me For Religious Reasons?

Trump Is Planning A New Rule To Let Federal Contractors Fire Employees For Religious Reasons

If someone is going to fire me for religious reasons, I want to be sure that their religious beliefs are not just an excuse. I want to know if they really subscribe to their professed religion's beliefs or if they just pick and choose precepts which are convenient. If they are Christians, then I expect them to follow all the laws of their religion, including those in the Old Testament. Matthew 5:17-18  "17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

These are a few of the things forbidden: Divorces, horoscopes, tattoos, illegitimate births, praying aloud or in public, braided hair, jewelry, expensive clothes, damaged genitals (vasectomies or cancer?), shaving.

So if my employer fires me for religious reasons, but wears jewelry or does not have a beard, then I know that they are not really Christian and so cannot use it to fire me.

The same principle applies to those who would deny me services because of a professed religious reason. They must follow all the laws of that religion, and they must deny services to others who do not follow every law. Otherwise, they are hypocrites and liars who are just using a religion that they don't believe in.

So sayeth me.

No comments: